Bushfire notes

BUSHFIRE NOTES

FROM MEETING AUGUST 2017

Access Roads

·      Loop road recommend rather than same way in and backtrack out, this offers a choice of path for people to exit the site and is looked on favourably.

·      4m wide road.

·      1m minimum clear zone beside road (6m overall clearance for road and sides). Note they could ask for an additional zone of clearance up to 20m wide.

·      Unpaved under 10 degrees (not percent) – Sealed road 10 to 15 degrees. Over 15 degrees unacceptable. (note council use % not degrees and have different requirements, sealed over 13% no road over 27%

·      Fire truck (and road access) required within 40 – 50m (with Storz connection to a water supply) to allow the 60m hose to rear of all buildings 

·      Maximum 200m road off loop to access buildings. 

Note: additional surroundings scope for Jon to review 3D model and identify if we can achieve a loop at 15 degrees or less, ideally 10 degrees to avoid costs of sealing. Keep road as short as possible to minimize cost. Jon will look for natural slopes and hills in the land to ‘hide’ the view of the road behind. Note current spa location is expensive and will lead to a lot of additional road cost, we discussed moving it down the hill towards the creek near a cabin cluster.

Water provision for fire fighting

·      Provide Storz coupling to water supply at end of road access (within 40-50m of rear of buildings)

·      Water supply can be local off a roof to an allocated fire protection tank, a % of another tank or piped from dam or town water, note town water supply may attract infrastructure charges (headworks) so Rob recommends we avoid this if possible. 

·      Water supply can be an inground pool

·      Access to water point (storz) must be within APZ within 4m of hardzone to allow fire truck to park and connect and not too ‘close’ to buildings. (no real definition of ‘close)

·      House requires 1 x 20K Litre tank or allocated segment of larger tank. 

Note: We discussed building a ‘carport’ or covered open area roof and a water tank to collect water for fire allocation. We noted it need not be used for cars but could be a communal covered eating area with each cluster of tents or cabins.

Macadamia clearance required.

Generally choose locations for overnight accommodation further away from Macadamia plantation.

·      80m zone possible with spray drift buffer

·      Rob noted there have been some instances to indicate we may get as little of 20m zone with buffer. 

·      200m away is the worst possibility. 

Camping

·      They do not look to protect tents just people. 

·      Camping has been approved with a hard floor and hard roof and soft walls, masonry bathroom.

·      Cluster camping in groups of 3 or 4 – 12 maximum. Note cluster is our choice, we can put them all together if we would like. 

·      Allow a 10m Asset Protection Zone (APZ) APZ are generally grass and can have 15% canopy maximum and limited species within them. Helen (Bushfire consultant) will give us more information in her report, Rob has a list of species.

Cabins

·      Allow a 19m Asset Protection Zone (APZ) for initial layout to allow Helen to review. APZ are generally grass and can have 15%  canopy maximum and limited species within them.  

Grown structures (without roof)

Considered landscape ‘pergolas’ and not required to be considered for asset protection from fire. Note no one can sleep in them. 

Clarification required.

Q. For tents which they don’t protect do we still require the road access within 40-50m?

Ecology notes

We are asked to plant a certain number of natives per cabin, there are different options of how we can do this.

Townplanning notes

·      Note it is still unknown if our glamping will count to our 12 beds of cabins, Rob is watching current DA’s to see what happens and will advise if anything pops up to indicate this.

·      We discussed that the townplanning DA’s we are currently proposing (expanded dwelling and short term rural tourism accommodation) allow for booked in overnight guests to be hosted for events on site, but not day visits. Visitors to the residents on site cannot be charge for events, so our DA strategy is missing a component that will allow us to host half day, or day events that are charged. Rob noted that we could consider an agricultural training DA or a health space da. Team to investigate further. Note we are aiming for a controlled booking scenario not a public venue (eg farm) where people can turn up and numbers aren’t controlled. 

·      Rob had some questions about the operations. Do the cabins have kitchens, do the people drive to cabin or do we transfer them? 96 team to do some work to discuss and outline.

·      Generally discussed need to allocate, plan and grade parking as early as possible. Car parking will be required with the rural tourism accommodation DA (not the house) but prudent to have it working if we have multiple cars accessing site. 

·      Surroundings to add barscale to master plan.

Note: future meeting with civil engineer (Peter) once road location established.

Note: future meeting with water water guy once further advanced in masterplan

To dos.

·      Surroundings add barscale to existing masterplan, update to match our discussion, do our best locations, to give to Helen to do her fire review. (Blair im wondering if our locations are fixed enough yet or it would be better to wait until after our September session once we have access to the site.

·      Surroundings look at possible road location and grading (new scope)

·      (Q for rob) Could 1 off open days to public which aren’t number controlled be achieved with 1 off special events license?

·      Rob will you please direct us to where we can read about ‘agricultural training DA’

·      Blair/Simon to discuss operation of cabins particularly will cars go to there or park up top and have peoples luggage (and them) transferred. Note