What consultants do I need?

Many different specialist consultants can be involved in any project. It is a collaborative process and which requires a diversity of experts. Below is a list of consultants that may be required on your project. 


Based on Queensland, Australia

Land Surveyors

Land Surveyors provide survey drawings in digital format on identification of boundaries, location of trees (optional), buildings, services, levels and topography. The survey markers on site are required by the builder to enable them to set out the site for construction. The costs associated with surveys vary depending on the site and level of detail required.

We can recommend Steve Toohey from Toohey Survey

Building Certifier

Building certifiers are required to assess the architectural construction drawings to ensure they meet the requirements of the Building Code of Australia. Building Approval must be obtained prior to commencement of construction. Building certifiers assess building application; issue building approval; inspect and certify construction; and issue certificates to allow the lawful occupation.

Energy Consultant

Energy consultants complete efficiency assessment to ensure the design complies with the energy efficiency requirements of the Building Code of Australia. They assess the energy efficiency of the design (eg. Insulation, shading, window sizes and orientation). The report is required by the building certifier for building approval.

Structural Engineer

Structural Engineers co-ordinate site investigations and testing, design of structural concrete, structural steel, load bearing masonry and other structural components.

Landscape Architect

Landscape Architects are an optional consultant for design of landscaping including hardscape paved areas, planting, pools and ponds.

Hydraulic Engineer

Hydraulic Engineers are required where a range of detailed hydraulic systems are needed including rainwater collection tanks and full household reticulation, self contained sewage systems, grey water treatment system and reticulation.

Town Planner

Town planners are required if the site needs a development approval from the local council.

We recommend Denis Mulcahy at Planning Solutions Qld.

Geotechnical Engineer

Geotechnical Engineers coordinate investigation of the site and soil and site classification for use by the structural engineer.

Pool Designer

Pool designers may be required for the design and construction swimming pools.